Monday, March 29, 2010

Week 4...

Hey!

I am just beginning to work my way around the Mahara site and am finding it amazing what we can now do and share through technology.

Mahara Site: Students will be able to gain from using such technology as it allows you to save a wide variety of file types which they would then be able to access when they needed. This is also marvellous technology for me to be aware of and use, as an upcoming Learning Manager, as it will aid in developing my teaching portfolio and hopefully lead to opportunities in the future. Children of this era have a great understanding of technology as they are digital natives, however it is not always readily available to them. Not all schools have large amounts of computers or do all children have access to the internet outside of school. As a Learning Manager I would aim to give all students equal time on computers and with these programs, while also keeping in mind who has the technology outside of school.

Avatar: Avatars are another resource to deliver the course material and thus focusing on different learning styles. Cartoons, animals and people become the avatars to engage learners in the course. By using humour as well as educational material students may be more interested in listening and become involved in the lesson and what is being taught.
I am currently creating my own avatar and will upload it as soon as I am finished :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,
    I agree that technology is a great way to engage learners, I think it's fantastic that you mention "keeping in mind who has the technology outside of school" it's so easy to forget that not all students have access to this wonderful learning tool.
    Cheers
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true Trish, I make sure that I have access to all of the technology which could assist me with my studies, (I've spent too much money and it's only my first term, It is vital that we do remember the limitations of our resources

    ReplyDelete